Mamelodi Sundowns will take their much-ancipated Caf Champions League group stage encounter against Egyptian giants Al Ahly to Soweto, FNB Stadium on Friday, 11 March.
Due to Loftus Versfeld, Lucas Moripe and Tuks Stadiums in Pretoria not meeting some of the criteria set by Caf for stadia to host international and continental club matches, Sundowns played their previous Champions League game at Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenburg where they beat Al-Hilal 1-0 last month.
And now it has been confirmed that Sundowns will use FNB for their Ahly clash as Manqoba Mngqithi said they were not happy with the condition of some facilities at Royal Bafokeng.
“We hereby wish to confirm receipt of the operational plan and the various supporting documents for the Caf Confederation Cup match between Mamelodi Sundowns and Al Ahly scheduled for March 11 at the FNB stadium,” said a letter signed by Vusumuzi Mkhize, director-general (DG) in the department of sport.
“The department has considered the plans and other supporting documents and it has been unanimously found that all paperwork and plans meet all criteria from a health and safety perspective as well as compliance to the SASREA Act and thus the application has merit and is therefore approved.
“Please note that the Disaster Management Regulations can change at any given time that may negatively impact this approval. It will also be appreciated if you could advise the department should you decide to cancel any event where approval has been provided.”
The Tshwane giants are at the summit of Group A with seven points after three matches and will be looking to complete a double over Ahly following their historic win last week in Cairo.