There has been a major update on the murder case of former Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa.
Meyiwa’s case started in 2022, eight years after his death. He was fatally shot during a robbery in Vosloorus, Gauteng, in October 2014.
Five accused Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli are standing trial for the murder.
UPDATE ON FORMER BAFANA BAFANA KEEPER SENZO MEYIWA MURDER CASE
The case was postponed a month ago due to the ill health of presiding judge Tshifhiwa Maumela. President Cyril Ramaphosa has since suspended Maumela for failing to deliver judgments.
Retired Judge, Ratha Mokgoatlheng has since been appointed to take over the trial and it is also expected that the trial will start afresh.
During the proceedings on Monday, Mokgoatlheng said previous proceedings had been nullified. The five accused have also been informed that they have the right to seek bail.
โIn the spirit of the new proceedings, you are advised that you have the right to apply for bail,” said Mokgoatlheng. “What happened in the past is the past.โ

โThe only caveat is that if any of you wants to do that, this court canโt entertain the bail application because it is seized with your trial. Arrangements will have to be made for another judge to hear the bail application,โ added Mokgoatlheng.
WHO IS JUDGE RATHA MOKGOATLHENG?
The new judge [ Mokgoatlheng ] in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial is not a stranger within the football fraternity. He is a former Orlando Pirates player who later jumped ship to co-found Kaizer Chiefs together with Dr Kaizer Motaung.
Together with Edward โMsomiโ Khoza and Thomas โZero My Heroโ Johnson, Mokgoatlheng was expelled from the Buccaneers for defying team managementโs orders.
He was admitted as an attorney in 1976, while still playing for Chiefs.
RELATED STORY: Orlando Pirates make major transfer moves