DStv PremiershipLatest Soccer News

Sundowns secure hard-fought 2-1 victory over Sekhukhune United

Mamelodi Sundowns secured a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Sekhukhune United in the DStv Premiership on Tuesday at Loftus Versfeld Stadium.

Tashreeq Matthews and Thapelo Morena scored two early goals for the home side while Chibuike Ohizu converted the penalty to score the only goal for Sekhukhune.

Rulani Mokwena changed the whole starting line-up that played against Esperance in the CAF Champions League quarter-final first leg. He rested his regulars for the return tie that will take place on Friday, 26 April.

The home side had a perfect start, getting an early goal via Tashreeq Matthews in the 2nd minute. The 23-year-old picked up the pieces when Thapelo Morena’s first attempt was blocked in the box.

Sekhukhune came close to levelling the scoreline when Brian Onyango gifted the opponents the ball. Vusimuzi Mncube set up Linda Mntambo in the box but the captain’s attempt went well wide.

In the 7th minute, Morena doubled the lead for Sundowns with Matthews turning the provider after winning the ball from Tresor Yamba Yamba at the back.

The hosts continued with a high-intensity attacking game, pressing high up into the Sekhukhune box.

Moments later, Babina Noko tried to get back into their feet rotating the ball as they were looking to bounce back. However, getting into the final third remained difficult as Sundowns kept pressing.

A few minutes later, Lehlohonolo Seema’s side created a few chances but Denis Onyango came to the rescue of his side.


Thereafter, Sundowns had to make a forced change as the Ugandan shot-stopper picked up an injury. Jody February came on as a replacement, making his first appearance for the Tshwane-based since joining in 2019. 

Just before half-time, February made a fantastic save denying Yamba Yamba’s powerful header from going in.

The match went to the break with the Brazilians leading 2-0.

Sundowns secure hard-fought 2-1 victory over Sekhukhune United
Chibuike Ohizu – Picture by Sekhukhune United

In the early stages of the second stanza, Sekhukhune was awarded a penalty after Brian Onyango appeared to have brought down Mncube in the box. Ohizu stepped up and hit the back of the net to pull one back for the visitors.

Ohizu had been brought in before half-time along with Kamohelo Mokotjo with Seema taking off Lehlohonolo Mtshali and Jammie Webber.

It was then game-on as Sekhukhune kept on seeking the equaliser. They had a good spell of attack but couldn’t easily get a breakthrough.

Mokwena brought on central midfielders – Sammy Seabi and Sipho Mbule to try and manage possession. However, Sekhukhune continued to win the midfield battle and to threaten February’s goalposts.

Mamelodi Sundowns held on until the final whistle to claim the maximum points at home. They are now six points away from their seventh consecutive league title.

RELATED STORY: Sekhukhune United suffer setback before Sundowns showdown

Back to top button