Latest Soccer News Motsepe Foundation Championship

Double blow for CT Spurs as protest losses confirm relegation

Cape Town Spurs teammates suffer blow

Cape Town Spurs have suffered a double blow after SAFA’s arbitration dismissed their two protests against Kruger United and Pretoria Callies with costs.

Last week, CT Spurs withdrew their legal challenge at the High Court and decided to wait for the outcome of a SAFA arbitration hearing held on June 19, 2025.

The move effectively placed their final hopes of avoiding relegation into the hands of arbitration. The Urban Warriors finished the 2024/25 season in 15th place in the Motsepe Foundation Championship, leading to their relegation to the ABC Motsepe League.

CT Spurs claimed Kruger used an ineligible player, Osborn Maluleke, in a clash they lost 2-1 to the Mpumalanga side in October 2024. They also alleged that Callies fielded an ineligible player, Sibusiso Khumalo, in another match, in which 10-man Spurs lost 2-1.

They argued that on 27 June 2024, the PSL approved the sale and renaming of Gallants to Leruma United. According to Article 14 of the NSL Handbook, the transfer was finalised based on Gallants’ acceptance as a going concern. Consequently, Spurs added that the employment contracts of Gallants’ employees, including the players, were transferred to Leruma United before 30 June 2024.

Gallants issued both clearance certificates and not Leruma United as their former club. As a result, the clearance certificates issued to Khumalo on 1 July 2024 and Maluleke on 8 August 2024 were deemed invalid and of no force or effect, rendering the Players ineligible to play for Callies and Kruger.

Cape Town Spurs. Picture by the club

WHAT DOES THE CAPE TOWN SPURS FC VERDICT SAY

In her reasoning, SAFA’s arbitrator, Roseline Nyman, said “the complaint was referred late by 245 days after the expiry of the 40 [forty] days of the closure of the registration period. Rule 52.2 operates as a prescription.

It does not allow a condonation procedure, nor is the fairness of the Rule of any consequence. I must therefore dismiss the complaint with costs.”

She further said: “Where a player was previously registered as a professional with a Member Club”, in the event of a terminated or expired contract, a clearance certificate must be submitted to the league. At the time of the issuing of the clearance certificate, even though the players’ contract of employment had lapsed, their new employer was Leruma United and not [Marumo] Gallants.

“It therefore follows that only Leruma United was legally empowered to issue the players with valid clearance certificates. The players’ Member Club would have been their former employer and not the last club for which they played,” read the ruling. “Given my findings, the complaint is dismissed with costs.”

The setback means they will now start their journey in the amateur ranks. Although there were suggestions that Spurs intended to acquire professional status from Callies soon to facilitate their return to the PSL, the Pretoria club has dismissed these rumours.

RELATED STORY: CT Spurs withdraw High Court application against Durban City