Seema breaks silence on failed Kegan Johannes move

Kegan Johannes with Mamelodi Sundowns

Siwelele FC head coach Lehlohonolo Seema has broken his silence on the failed transfer move for Mamelodi Sundowns defender Kegan Johannes.

Johannes looked set to be on his way to join Siwelele on a season-long loan from Masandawa before the deal collapsed in the last minute. The defender-cum-midfielder has struggled to break into the Sundowns squad since signing from the now-defunct SuperSport United in July 2024.

As previously reported by FARPost, the player had already completed his medical, was announced by Siwelele, and had even participated in training sessions with the team. However, in a cruel twist of fate, Sundowns reportedly pulled the plug, recalling the frustrated player back to Gauteng.

The former SA junior international has faced tough competition at Sundowns, which left him regularly left out of the starting line-up in the previous campaign.

In his first season in the colours of Sundowns, Johannes only featured in six matches across all competitions. In a bid to find regular playing minutes, the 24-year-old was poised to join the Bloemfontein-based side, and he was unveiled at the club before the deal fell through.

As a result, Johannes returned to the Tshwane giants on deadline day, having trained with Siwelele as they fight to compete in South Africaโ€™s top flight.

WHAT SEEMA SAID ABOUT FAILED JOHANNES MOVE

Kegan Johannes at Siwelele FC
Kegan Johannes. Picture courtesy of Siwelele FC/X

Speaking at the Carling Knockout Cup media event on Thursday in Johannesburg, Siwelele coach Seema revealed that they are not disappointed after missing out on Johannesโ€™ signature.

โ€œI wasnโ€™t disappointed, heโ€™s not our player,โ€ said Seema when asked by FARPost about Johannes’s failure to join Siwelele on loan. “He trained with us and travelled with us, he knows our songs, thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m jealous, I heard some of them being sung in other camps.

โ€œSo it was very unfortunate, we were looking forward to getting him, especially when you mention Nyiko Mobbie [whoโ€™s injured]. I can also mention the young Siyabonga Ndebele, who got injured against Durban City FC.

โ€œI was not disappointed because heโ€™s not our player, but we were looking forward to having him, and it happened the way it did. And I saw that he was on the bench for Sundowns in the last match [against Richards Bay FC], which means heโ€™s in their plans. Letโ€™s hope he will get game-time.”

RELATED STORY:ย Kegan Johannes left in limbo as Sundowns block Siwelele deal