Kaizer Chiefs’ reason for pulling out of the rescheduled Prince Mangosuthu Legacy Cup 2025 have been revealed. The Zululand District Municipality, which organises the tournament, confirmed the withdrawal in an official statement.
The initial tournament date of October 11 had already been postponed once to November 16 to accommodate the Soweto giants. However, the draw for the CAF Confederation Cup group stages created a new, insurmountable conflict.
Amakhosi were recently drawn into a challenging CAF Confederation Cup group featuring Egyptian giants Zamalek SC, Al Masry, and Zambian club ZESCO United. The club’s first group stage match is scheduled for late November.
CHIEFS’ WITHDRAWAL REASONS REVEALED
According to the statement, the Glamour Boys cited unavoidable scheduling conflicts stemming from their participation in the CAF interclub group stages.

“The Zululand District Municipality wishes to officially announce the withdrawal of Kaizer Chiefs FC from the Prince Mangosuthu Legacy Cup 2025, which was scheduled to take place on Sunday, 16 November 2025, at the Prince Mangosuthu Regional Stadium in Ulundi,” the organisers said in a statement.
“This decision follows the receipt of an official letter from Kaizer Chiefs FC signed by the club chairman [Dr Kaizer Motaung]. He cited the team’s participation in the next round of CAF [Confederation Cup] competitions as the primary reason for withdrawal.”
The club told the organisers its decision was necessitated by unforeseen changes to its international fixture calendar. This comes following the official draw for the CAF interclub group stages most recently.
“The draw has imposed specific travel logistics and preparatory requirements that directly conflict with our participation in the tournament. As a club with a proud history on the continent, our commitments to CAF competitions must take precedence, and the revised schedule leaves us unable to fulfil our obligation to your event without compromising our performance and obligations,” reads the letter sent by Chiefs to the organisers.
Meanwhile, Richards Bay FC have stepped in to replace Chiefs. Amakhosi fans who have already purchased can request a refund from TicketPro.
The tournament’s fixtures are scheduled as follows: AmaZulu FC will face Njampela FC at 09:00. Afterwards, Richards Bay FC will compete against Nsingizini Hotspurs FC at 12:00. The final match will take place at 16:00.
RELATED STORY: Sweswe weighs in on Kaizer Chiefs’ looming defensive conundrum