FCSB defender Siyabonga Ngezana has addressed reports that he has been omitted from the Bafana Bafana 2026 FIFA World Cup squad, citing a major breakdown in communication at his Romanian club.
Reports on Monday quoted FCSB interim coach Lucian Filip, who said the former Kaizer Chiefs centre-back was “gutted” to have missed out on Hugo Broos’ 55-man provisional squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup.
Filip’s comments raised eyebrows back in SA, given that Bafana head coach, Hugo Broos, has not yet officially announced his squad.
Speaking exclusively to FARPost from Romania, Ngezana explained that his club’s technical team had spoken to the media under the false impression that the South African national team selection had already been finalised.
NGEZANA EXPLAINS THE ROOT OF THE ‘MISUNDERSTANDING’
“There is a misunderstanding because my club didn’t receive the correct information,” Ngezana told FARPost. “They thought coach Hugo Broos had already announced the Bafana Bafana squad for the World Cup.
“Just yesterday [Monday], the club management asked me when Broos would be announcing the squad. My coach said what he said to the media before the Bafana squad was even out because he simply didn’t know. He thought that when the media asked him about my Bafana prospects, the squad had already been named. It was all just a miscommunication.”

The confusion followed earlier comments from FCSB’s president of the administrative board, Mihai Stoica, who reportedly said that Ngezana’s World Cup prospects were “totally compromised” after the defender opted not to undergo surgery for a persistent meniscus injury.
Ngezana had returned from the 2023 AFCON tournament with a knee injury, which was later exacerbated by hamstring complications after a brief 12-minute comeback for his club in April.
As a result of the injury, he was forced to sit out Bafana Bafana’s two recent international friendlies against Panama in March, and Hannover 96 defender Ime Okon was called up to replace him in the squad.
NGEZANA BACK TO FULL FITNESS: ‘I’M FEELING GOOD’
Despite the off-field narrative and the club’s initial medical scepticism, the 28-year-old defender has successfully worked his way back to full fitness.
Ngezana handed Bafana Bafana a major boost ahead of the upcoming FIFA World Cup, to be co-hosted by Canada, Mexico, and the United States from June 11 to July 19. The robust defender proved his readiness for the global stage by playing the full 90 minutes in FCSB’s crucial Romanian Super Liga relegation playoff clash against FC Hermannstadt on Monday evening.
“But all is good on my side,” Ngezana reassured. “Yesterday I played the full 90 minutes with the team. I’m glad that I’m feeling good and fully fit to help the team. So, regarding my coach’s comments, it was just a misunderstanding.”
With the defender back on the pitch and a proven fit, the ball now lies in Broos’ court ahead of his official Bafana squad announcement later this month.
Broos’ selection will be crucial as South Africa prepares for a historic campaign, having been drawn into a challenging Group A alongside Mexico, the Republic of Korea, and the Czech Republic.
Bafana Bafana will play in the global showpiece’s opening match against co-hosts Mexico on Thursday, June 11, echoing the iconic opening game of the 2010 World Cup on South African soil.
The national team will then turn their attention to Czechia on Thursday, June 18, before concluding their group-stage schedule with a clash against South Korea on Thursday, June 25.
RELATED STORY: Siyabonga Ngezana: Faith, love, and the 81-day road back to the pitch