Ghana’s Osman Bukari clarifies Cristiano Ronaldo siu celebration
Ghanaian winger Osman Bukari has clarified his Cristiano Ronaldo siu goal celebration after scoring against Portugal in a 2022 FIFA World Cup Group H clash in Qatar on Thursday evening.
The Black Stars of Ghana succumbed to a 3-2 defeat to Portugal at the Stadium 974.
Bukari says his decision to imitate the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s celebration was not to disrespect or mock him.
He netted Ghana’s second goal in the 89th minute to give his side hope of bouncing back in the clash.
The former Real Madrid star Ronaldo had been substituted by the time Bukari scored, having broken the deadlock for Portugal from the spot kick.
BUKARI CLEARS THE AIR…
The 23-year-old Red Star player took to social media to clear the air regarding the celebration.
“My upbringing doesn’t permit me to be disrespectful to elders, let alone one of my idols,” he said in a statement.
“I have noticed my celebration has generated comments claiming I was disrespectful towards Ronaldo. This is incorrect.
”I was overcome by the emotion of the moment of scoring for my country on my World Cup debut leading to my celebration.
“Thanks for your support and we focus on our next game!”
Bukari made his international debut for Ghana back in March 2021 against Bafana in an Africa Cup of Nations [AFCON] qualifying clash.
His stellar displays for FC Nantes and Red Star [club level] saw him becoming a regular for Black Stars since then.
He scored his first goal for Ghana in June 2022 in an AFCON qualifier against Madagascar.
Otto Addo’s charges will play their next group-stage game against South Korea on Monday, 28 November.
Whereas Portugal will take on Uruguay also on Monday after the Ghana game.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo made history when became the first player to score at five different World Cups.
RELATED STORY: