DStv PremiershipLatest Soccer News

Chiefs, Swallows share spoils in lightning-affected match

Kaizer Chiefs and Moroka Swallows shared the spoils after a 0-0 draw in the DStv Premiership match that had an hour stoppage due to the heavy rain and lightning at the FNB Stadium on Saturday.

Both sides failed to get back to winning ways as Chiefs had not tasted a win in their then-previous two league games while Swallows came to the match having not won in their last six league matches.

Cavin Johnson made four changes from his last outing’s first line-up taking off Sibongiseni Mthethwa, Nkosingiphile Ngcobo, Mduduzi Shabalala and Christian Saile. He handed starts to Yusuf Maart, Pule Mmodi, Keagan Dolly and Ranga Chivaviro.

Meanwhile, the Dube Birds pulled out three players from their previous line up. They took out Augustine Mahlonoko, Letsie Koapeng and Roland Sanou bringing back Jacob Everson, Gregory Damons and Tlakusani Mthethwa.

It was a cagey opening for both sides with minimal chances at goal within the first 15 minutes.

Amakhosi were looking to make use of Ashley Du Preez’s speed when attacking. But Swallows were astute and alert at the back.

First big chance of the match fell for the home side with an in-swinger corner-kick whipped into the box of Swallows. It was dealt with well by Falakhe Tshanini.

In the 28th minute, Du Preez was denied a goal after he was adjudged to have been off-side. He had collected a rebound following Daniel Akpeyi’s fine save stopping the striker’s powerful header.

Both sides played more constructive football towards the end of the first half, threatening each other. However, neither of them found the breakthrough until they went to the break.

Chiefs, Swallows share spoils in lightning-affected match
Yusuf Maart and Tlakusani Mthethwa/Picture courtesy of Kaizer Chiefs


And it was in the 47th minute when Edmilson Dove was given a straight red card for bringing down Mhango as the last man of defence.

Both sides then continued seeking for the opening goal with a lot of action at both ends.

In the 57th minute, the match was stopped due to heavy rain and lightning strikes. But after an hour it was resumed following the assessment of pitch condition by the match commissioner.

Musa Nyatama’s men wanted to utilise the numerical advantage when driving forward but weren’t sharp enough to dismantle Chiefs’ defence. Bruce Bvuma made a wonderful save denying Mashweu Mphahlele’s vicious attempt that had deflected off Happy Mashiane.

As the match was edging closer to the end, Chiefs were on the charge despite being one man down.

In the 82nd minute, Moroka Swallows nearly caught them napping with Mhango missing a massive opportunity after the hosts failed to defend a corner-kick. The David Mogashoa-owned side continued to ask questions to Bvuma, who along with defence, remained solid until the final whistle.

RELATED STORY: Agent gives update on Khune’s Chiefs future amidst Sekhukhune rumours

Back to top button