Orlando Pirates head coach Jose Riveiro has shed light on the club’s decision to announce his impending departure well in advance.
The Soweto giants announced last month that Riveiro will step down from his coaching position at the end of the 2024/25 Betway Premiership season.
The Spanish tactician has been with the Buccaneers for three seasons after taking over the hot seat in July 2022. In his stint with the Soweto giants, Riveiro has won three successive MTN8 trophies and two Nedbank Cup titles.
Riveiro has managed to turn Pirates into one of the most competitive sides in the Premiership after finishing as the runners-up in the league and qualifying for the CAF Champions League in the past two seasons.
Last Friday, 25 April, Pirates crashed out of the Champions League in the semi-finals after losing 3-2 on aggregate against Pyramids FC. The Egyptian Premier League side will face Mamelodi Sundowns in the two-legged final.
As the campaign reaches its climax, the Ghosts are competing for the Betway Premiership and Nedbank Cup titles. In the Nedbank Cup, Pirates will face Kaizer Chiefs in the final at Moses Mabhida Stadium.
WHAT JOSE RIVEIRO SAID ABOUT PIRATES ANNOUNCING HIS DEPARTURE EARLY

With Jose Riveiro looking to finish his Pirates tenure on a high, he has applauded the club’s transparency in announcing his exit early.
He stated that the move was primarily aimed at preempting and quelling potential speculation surrounding his future with the Buccaneers.
“I think [announcing the departure], it’s a good way of avoiding speculations. It’s a good way of keeping our home under control,” said Riveiro.
“At the same time, it was a move of being transparent. I think it was well executed. Why not do it this way? Maybe this is the first time something like this has happened, but it won’t be the last time that I can tell you.
“So I think it’s a good way to understand the situation of the club and the situation of the coach. It allows us, the coaches and the players, to focus on the last part of the season. I’m glad with how the club handled the situation.”
RELATED STORY: ‘I’m not worried about my job’: Chiefs coach