Bafana Bafana head coach Hugo Broos has confirmed that SAFA has finalised the appointment of the new technical director following the exit of Walter Steenbok.
The SA Football Association has been without a TD since the resignation of Steenbok, who had been in the position from September 2022 until stepping down in April 2025. Walter Steenbok allegedly faced challenges at SAFA, which included not having a vehicle to complete his day-to-day duties.
Following his resignation, he made shocking revelations about maladministration at the association and revealed that the SA Under-20 coach, Raymond Mdaka, earns less than R20,000. Mdaka recently clinched the U-20 AFCON gold medal in Egypt with Amajita after defeating Morocco 1-0 in the final.
In recent weeks, former Kaizer Chiefs coach Molefi Ntseki has been linked with the vacant TD position to replace Steenbok. Ntseki has experience working with SAFA, having previously served as the head coach of Bafana Bafana between 2019 and 2021. The Blomfontein-born mentor was also appointed as an interim Bafana coach for the 2025 CHAN qualifiers in March.
WHAT HUGO BROOS SAID ABOUT THE NEW SAFA TD

Without revealing the name of the technical director, Broos disclosed that the appointment of Steenbokโs replacement has been finalised.
โIโm not afraid of that [talking about the technical director], thereโs a new TD now,โ Broos said at Auckland Park on Thursday.
โSo we already had a meeting together, and we have plans. I donโt want to talk about it now. What I can say is that the first thing weโll do in the next month is have a meeting with all the coaches, because after the two friendlies, I will go home to my family.
โWeโll have a meeting with the U-17 and U-20 coaches. Weโll discuss how weโre going to work in the future and try to make plans and structures.โ
RELATED STORY:ย What Walter Steenbok has achieved since joining SAFA as technical director